Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Educational Technologies Concept Map


For my 'Teaching with Technology' course, I was asked to develop a concept map of educational technologies using a web-based tool.  There are many to choose from including:  SpicyNodes,  Inspiration/KidspirationMindmeister, IHMC CMaps and Gliffy, to name just a few. 


I choose to explore Inspiration Maps because of its PC and iPad app capabilities.  This program has many simple features, and is very intuitive to use.  There are a variety of icon shapes and images to choose from, and you are able to customize the colors, fonts, and overall style with a simple menu of options.  Embedding web links was simple, but as far as I can tell, are only functional within the Inspiration app or PC program.  I used the free version, which allowed me to make the concept map using the full features.  However, in order to save it as a PDF, or email it as a PNG image file I will need to upgrade for $9.99.  With the free version I am able to send it as an 'Inspiration file' to someone else who has the program, and they would be able to open the links that are embedded in the map.  

This technology could be used prior teaching any new unit of study to serve as a pre-assessment, or at the conclusion of a unit to show the conceptual understandings and connects made by students.  Students could work individually or in pairs to visually conceptualize their funds of knowledge on any topic. This technology could also serve the purpose of the planning stage of any piece of writing that was taken through the full writing process, although it would be a time consuming and labor-intensive task.  At the second grade level, I'd most likely use this specific technology in a whole-class KWL model before and after my science or social studies units of study.  

Due to the time and labor demands of using electronic concept maps, I'm not sure that this is something I need in my second grade classroom at this time; and therefore won't be making the upgrade anytime soon.  I typically using concept maps as brainstorming/pre-writing activities rather than final projects, and would choose other technologies to spend my time on. 

Without the ability to use the links, this concept map would fall into the 'augmentation' level of the SAMR model because I was able to upload photos and icons digitally.  When using the full program, this would jump up to 'redefinition' on the SAMR model because of the ability to embed web links. I can see myself using Inspiration Maps, or something similar for a presentation to my students or colleagues, but this is not something that I'm going to ask a second grader to use anytime soon.  



No comments:

Post a Comment