Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Formative Feedback

This week I asked my university students to provide feedback on our class now that we have reached the mid-point in the semester. My purpose in this formative assessment process is to refine and improve my teaching methods, and create a better learning environment for my students.  I also want to model the importance of reflective practice for them.

 I created a Google Form that looked like this:
 I wanted students to be able to anonymously  provide their input without the fear that might surround potential handwriting recognition. 
I asked my student to identify:
2 positive things they appreciate or enjoy most about the class,
and
2 areas or ways in which I can help them be more successful in class. 

I didn't realize how vulnerable I would feel about this process until the first few responses began trickling in. Putting yourself 'out there' can be a difficult thing to do. Criticism, even when it's constructive can sting.  It is in my nature to initially become defensive; to make excuses.  But the real beauty in this process is the opportunity for change and self-growth.  I am already a better teacher because of it.  I will set a timer in class, so that my students know that I value their time as well.  I will provide a more comprehensive exam review.  And I will continue to share brain breaks with my students on a daily basis, because they love them, and they need them--even though they cut into my instruction time.  

To see myself through my students' eyes has been humbling, and heart-warming experience.  To have my students identify me as an, "enthusiastic, passionate, understanding, positive, caring, upbeat, happy, experienced, sweet, relate-able, credible, welcoming, engaging" teacher is everything I want to be for them.  I want those traits in the next generation of teachers. 

I entered all of the students' responses (22 out of 33) in Class Dojo and will share the results with the interactive pie graph tomorrow in class.  Here is a snapshot of what the overview looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment