Friday, January 30, 2015

Outstanding Teaching Assistant Nomination

I am very honored and humbled to be nominated for the 2015 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award at the University of Idaho.  Here is the actual nomination letter from my department head. Part of the nomination process included a letter from a former student and fellow staff member who has observed me in the classroom. Even if I am not selected for the actual award itself, I am so thankful to have gone through this process.  I am going to include the letters (without identifying others) for a little pick-me-up for those times when I am feeling overwhelmed and discouraged with the teaching profession.

From my former student:

To Whom It May Concern,

Looking back throughout my education I have been influenced by many inspirational teachers. Teachers who would spend hours outside of the class helping me, teachers who would impact me the minute I walked into their class, and teachers who would evoke a sense of passion into every lesson they would teach. As a former student of Janice Weesner’s EDCI 201 class at the University of Idaho, I feel that I am justified to say that she is one of those teachers who have impacted and inspired me in many ways.

When I walked into Janice Weesner’s classroom I was swept away by her passion for teaching. Her welcoming personality made it easy to adjust to a college class. She made it a priority to know her students names, which may seem like a minor detail, but it allowed me to see the devotion she had for each student. As a student currently pursuing a degree in elementary education I was instantly drawn to her teaching strategies. She not only puts effort into every student she comes into contact with, but also puts effort into perfecting herself. For example, Mrs. Weesner sent a survey out to all of the students in her EDCI 201 class and asked each of us about her strengths and weaknesses. She wanted us to be brutally honest with our answers, and that was exactly what we did. After the survey, she examined her pros and cons and made a noticeable effort to correct the areas that needed the most improvement. Although this example may seem pointless to some, it inspired me to open myself up for examination in order to better myself.

Janice is a teacher who truly cares for her students, and you can tell by her warm personality. Throughout the semester, Janice made it apparent that she wanted the best for her students by her devotion in and out of the classroom. This aspect of her teaching has inspired me the most. If it was an email late at night or staying after class to ask her questions, Janice Weesner made it obvious that she wanted to help in any way possible. In the classroom, she would engage the class and make it an environment that was easy to learn in.

Janice Weesner is a teacher who I want to imitate when I teach. Her caring personality makes for an ideal learning environment, and her passion for teaching is contagious. Janice puts effort into every student and well as herself. She inspires others and has impacted me in ways that few teacher have. She has evoked a new sense of passion in me for teaching and I am thankful that I have had the opportunity to be one of her students.


From my colleague:

Dear Selection Committee:

Please consider the contents of this letter in support of Janice Weesner for the Outstanding Student Teaching Assistant Award. I have had the privilege of mentoring Janice in both the k-12 environment and here at the University of Idaho and have been truly impressed with her ability to impact the students that she teaches in both roles. Her dedication to her profession shines through every day in her interactions with students, k-12 teachers, and UI faculty members.
When I first met Janice, she was a k-12 teacher who was eager to integrate technology into her classroom. Her interest in exploring these possibilities led her to apply for the NIWP Summer Institute, a collaborative effort of the Northwest Inland Writing Project, the Idaho Common Core Teacher Network, and the Doceo Center for Innovation + Learning. Through this program, Janice has been a wonderful role model for other teachers and college of education students as she applies everything she learns directly to her current teaching experiences. She clearly considers both the limitations and affordances of specific technologies and instructional strategies and how their uses will impact student learning.
Janice’s determination to integrate technology in the classroom has transformed her teaching style. She began teaching in the Doceo Center Lab at the beginning of the semester where I have had the pleasure of observing her sections of EDCI 201. Janice uses every opportunity to engage her students with collaborative activities and model best practices. As a result, I witness the students benefiting from the active learning style where they dig much deeper into the materials and learn from one another. In fact, Janice will be presenting at the 2015 UBTech Conference in Orlando along with myself and two other instructors who will share their perspectives concerning teaching in an active learning classroom.
In my extensive experience in mentoring teachers, it is rare to find an individual with the determination that Janice possesses. Her brave efforts to innovate by trying new approaches in the classroom are paying off for both her and her students. I unconditionally recommend her for the Outstanding Student Teaching Assistant Award.


No comments:

Post a Comment