Monday, February 23, 2015

Transformation of Teaching

I have been extremely fortunate to teach this semester in the University of Idaho's Doceo Center for Innovation and Learning.
The word doceo is Latin and means "I teach, tutor, or instruct". The Doceo ("Doe-CHAY-oh") Center was funded by the J.A. and Kathryn Albertson Foundation for the purpose of "providing cutting-edge training and technology integration resources to educators, teacher educators, and administrators in Idaho as well as research for larger audiences." I often describe this space to people who have not been here as a room with "technology on steroids". This lab is equipped with six interactive displays, five collaboration stations, an AMX switching system and a variety of devices including document cameras, iPads and laptops. In this environment I have been able to transform my teaching with an infusion of cutting-edge technology. My students are now learning the course content through collaborative presentations and activities that utilize Web 2.0 resources. I am modeling the use of digital hardware and tools that my students will need to know for their future classrooms use including: Smart Boards, iPads, Chromebooks, and the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga. They are also experiencing interactive Google Apps for Education (GAFE) programs: Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms, and digital educator resources on a daily basis. My students are learning how to foster collaboration and cooperation in a 21st century classroom environment. Aesthetically speaking, it leaves something to be desired....specifically a window. After taking a full-day two-week course here this summer I would feel the need walk outside and stare at a tree every chance that I'd get. Granted, this basement location is the center's temporary location while the new College of Education building is under construction. When completed, the Doceo Center will be the highlight of the new building. Teaching in this classroom is an amazing opportunity in itself, but it has already opened up other doors to me. As a result of my course transformation in this technology-rich environment, I have been asked to co-present at the UBTech Conference in Orlando, Florida in June. The title of our presentation is, “Transforming Practice in an Active Learning Environment: Faculty Perspectives.”

No comments:

Post a Comment