Monday, August 25, 2014

Feeling Disturbed

Tomorrow is my first day of teaching all over again.  This time at the University.  My new outfit is ready and hanging up.  My lunchbox is packed in the fridge.  My syllabus is finalized and uploaded, although not copied off in paper form yet.  I have typed my 40 students names enough times to become familiar with them, and am excited to begin connecting faces with these names.  I have a pretty general idea about what is going to happen, but am a bit nervous about the limited technological capabilities of the classroom, and how I will work around that.

I'm sure the first day jitters will kick in soon.   But it's okay.  I am ready to be disturbed.   I was recently introduced to the works of Margaret J. Wheatley.  In her essay," Willing to be Disturbed she writes of  needing to have our thoughts and beliefs challenged.  She reminds us that we are not used to admitting that we don't know something, or don't know how to do something.   I am trying to get better at this. I am ready.  "....we can only find those answers by admitting that we don't know."

No comments:

Post a Comment